EngineerIT “cyber security, the challenges remotely” panel discussion.
EngineerIT hosted a virtual panel discussion on 25 June 2020, looking at the challenges of working remotely and from home. Participating in the discussion were:
- Jared Naude, Security Engineer/Cloud Architect – Synthesis
- David Emm, Principal Security Researcher – Kaspersky
- John Mc Loughlin, CEO – J2 Software
- Andrew Owens, Peering and Interconnection Manager – Teraco Data Environments
- Colin Erasmus, Modern Workplace Business Group Lead – Microsoft
- Charl Ueckermann, CEO – AVeS Cyber Security
Until the lockdown not many companies allowed remote working, whether from home or a coffee shop. When the lockdown was announced many companies scrambled to arrange for some of their staff to work from home to try and keep their businesses afloat.
Now we talk about the new normal and working remotely would be part of that. One of the reasons why companies were not keen on the remote working concept was cyber security and that has not changed, in fact some of the latest reports from the security industry talk about a dramatic increase in cyber-attacks and cyber-fraud.
In our panel discussion I would like us to discuss the following questions and get your opinion:
- In a working remotely scenario what aspects about cyber security would keep you awake at night and why?
- Would you allow your employee to use his/her own laptop to connect to your network and if so what kind of security measures would you expect to be installed? If the company supplies the equipment would you implement the same?